TIPS AND TOOLS FOR EASY, DELICIOUS GLUTEN-FREE LIVING
Gluten-free living made easy! Today’s options for a gluten-free lifestyle are better than ever. You still want your food choices to be wholesome, organic, and fresh so remember: Just because a product carries the GF food logo, doesn’t mean it’s healthy. Read ingredients and watch out for high sugar content and processed ingredients. Reading ingredients is the most important thing when it comes to choosing which food to purchase.
Before putting a product into your shopping cart have the following questions in mind:
- Is it USDA Organic?
- Is it Non-GMO Project Verified?
- Are there more than 5 ingredients on this list?
- What are the first three ingredients? This is what is mostly in the product.
- Does it contain corn, wheat, canola, sugar beets, or soy? These are the most commonly GMO foods, esp. if not Non-GMO Project Verified.
- Does it contain partially hydrogenated oils (trans-fats)?
- Does it contain sodium nitrate, sodium nitrite, MSG (monosodium glutamate), or food coloring?
- Does it contain sugar; fructose, sucrose, dextrose, honey, corn syrup or any other? If any sugar form is in the top three ingredients listed, the product is high in sugar.
We hope this list of resources helps you make gluten-free living easy and delicious.
Apps. Use apps to help you buy groceries, find a restaurant, view a GF menu, or verify allergen content. There’s even an app to help you translate dietary preferences into another language!
- Celiac Disease Foundation: Education, resources and support for those living with CD. Learn how to live GF, monitor symptoms; explore the GF marketplace – packed with recipes, news, and tips.
- Gluten Intolerance Group (GIG): Industry leader in the certification of gluten-free products and food services. Provides support, advocacy and education resources. You can join a local branch, research products and restaurants, browse recipes, and find helpful tips for kids and families. Offers an e-magazine.
- Beyond Celiac: Awareness and advocacy organization, covering research, news, events, lifestyle and dietary support.
- Gluten-Free Living: One of the longest running publications and websites on gluten-free diet and lifestyle.
- Elana’s Pantry: One of the longest running websites dedicated to great tasting GF and allergen-free recipes. Elana walks her talk and has overcome challenging medical diagnoses through wholesome living and dietary solutions.
- Glutenista: Hip, fun GF lifestyle brand providing resources, tips, and fashion for your wardrobe and kitchen.
Find healthy GF recipes and tips by visiting the website for your favorite GF brands (e.g., Udi, Smart Flour Foods, Bob’s Red Mill, and Canyon BakeHouse to name just a few). Google “Gluten free food companies” to find brands and food services including those in your local area.